Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sharpie


So this week we got to learn some more muscle adding to the previous ones.  So far we have gone over the Spinal erectors (Spinalis cervicis, Spinalis capitas, Spinalis thoracis,Longissimus capitas, longissimus carvicis, longissimus thoracis) the abdominals (qudratus lumborum, External obliques, rectus abs) and the glutes + Hips (Gluteus medius, tensor fasciar, gluteus maximux).  WHEW!!! I’m sure that was as much for you as it was for me.  I’ve always kind of understood how muscles worked and why they were placed where they were but I never knew how intricate they could be.  There are so many, and each with such a specific purpose.  I only wish I could remember all these names so I could whip em out and impress everyone.  

         Actually building the muscles has been a real challenge as well.  The book we got is pretty interesting but so hard to read sometimes.  They only show one muscle at a time and so it’s rather difficult to guess how different muscles interact and which ones will be on top or bottom, but Amy has thankfully been able to clear up some of those issues.
The muscles I have completed so far.
           Aside from our muscles we have started to draw the midline of our models as well as find and draw where the rib cage is during our gesture drawing portion of class.  Becoming familiar with where these two things are and getting in the habit of doing these two things first help us become better and faster drawers.  The reason these two lines are so important is that they are main references that we can start to build other parts of the body off of.  We were taught that the rib cage has an egg shape (mine always seem to turn out too long) but they are getting better! 

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you that the books are hard to read sometimes. But they are a helpful resource that we, art students, do not have to pay for. I think learning to use the anatomy words in everyday conversation would be awesome, but it will be a process to remember some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about the muscle book. I find it rather difficult to follow as well. Hopefully with time though we will start to understand it better. I also think that It would be really cool if one could remember all those fancy muscle terms. Especially with the amount of friends i have going into nursing degrees.

    ReplyDelete